Home Safety

Keep your family and home safe with these tips:

  • Put safety caps in unused wall outlets. Children are naturally inquisitive, and outlets present a temptation for little fingers.

  • Repair or replace damaged or brittle electrical cords. They can cause a short, shock or an electrical fire.

  • Use electrical cords properly. Remove a cord by pulling on the plug, not the cord itself. Never twist, bind or walk on a cord.

  • Keep electric appliances away from water. Make sure you and the appliance are dry and keep the appliance away from water when in use.

  • Use Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters. GFCIs prevent electric shock by interrupting the electrical supply to the outlet when a ground fault occurs.

  • Be aware of electrical problems. Flickering lights may indicate a wiring problem that needs immediate repair or replacement.

  • Cover all electrical outlets and wall switches with cover plates. Covers prevent any contact between you and inside wiring.

  • Use the correct size (wattage) bulb in all lighting fixtures. Check to make sure bulbs are screwed in securely, as loose bulbs can overheat.

  • Use space heaters properly. Never use a space heater near bedding, drapes, furniture or rugs, and always unplug it when not in use.

  • Keep a fire extinguisher within easy reach. Use a “C” class fire extinguisher, which is safe to use on electrical fires. If one is not available, baking soda will extinguish an electrical fire.

Download the Plug into Home Safety Booklet

Safety tips for every room in your house!

© Warren County REMC.